In the July 17 issue of Forbes online, writer, visual storyteller, and blogger (Indexed) Jessica Hagy summed up The 6 People You Need In Your Corner. Here is her commentary ~
"Nothing incredible is accomplished alone. You need others to help you, and you need to help others. With the right team, you can form a web of connections to make the seemingly impossible practically inevitable.
- The Instigator ~ someone who pushes you, who makes you think. Who motivates you to get up and go, and try, and make things happen. You want to keep this person energized and enthusiastic. This is the voice of inspiration.
- The Cheerleader ~ this person is a huge fan, a strong supporter, and a rabid evangelist for you and your work. Work to make this person rewarded, to keep them engaged. This is the voice of motivation.
- The Doubter ~ this is the devil's advocate, who asks the hard questions and sees problems before they arise. You need this person's perspective. They are looking out for you, and want you to be as safe as you are successful. This is the voice of reason.
- The Taskmaster ~ this is the loud and belligerent voice that demands you get things done. This person is the steward of momentum, making sure deadlines are met and goals are reached. This is the voice of progress.
- The Connector ~ this person can help you find new avenues and new allies. This person breaks through roadblocks and finds ways to make magic happen. You need this person to reach people and places you can't. This is the voice of cooperation and community.
- The Example ~ this is your mentor, your hero, your North Star. This is the person whom you seek to emulate. This is your guiding entity, someone whose presence acts as a constant reminder that you, too, can do amazing things. You want to make this person proud. This is the voice of true authority."
Wouldn't life be great if each of us were able to fill all those roles for ourselves? But being human, very few can, and perhaps that's just as well. Almost any project that has the active participation of a support network is a better project in the end. Who are the essential members of your own team ~ in researching and writing a book, in completing a school or work assignment, in leading a fulfilling personal life?